Certification and Accreditation Bloomfield
- board-certified physician by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS)
- member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
What Makes Surgeons Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery so Uniquely Qualified?
In most states, a licensed physician may perform plastic surgery without being board certified in plastic surgery. Just because a doctor is board-certified does not mean he or she is certified by the ABPS.
The ABPS is the only one of the 24 boards approved by the American Board of Medical Specialties that certifies physicians in plastic surgery of the face and body.
To be board-certified by the ABPS a physician must meet rigid requirement:
- Graduate from an accredited medical school
- Complete a combination of at least 5 years of general surgery and plastic surgery residency training.
- Pass comprehensive oral and written exams
By choosing an ABPS board-certified physician, you are assured that your doctor is experienced, extremely knowledgeable in his field and will provide for you the highest quality of care.
Why look for the ASPS symbol of excellence?
Only members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons may display the ASPS logo. This symbol of excellence in plastic surgery is what to look for when deciding on surgeon. It tells you that you are choosing a physician by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Besides ABPS certification, membership in the ASPS requires a plastic surgeon to regularly attend continuing medical education courses and to adhere to a strict code of ethics.